Friday 20 January 2012

Time - that black and narrow isthmus between two eternities

Richard has posted a page of "one-sentence adventure pitches" on his blog. All of them sound eminently enjoyable, interesting and playable. It reminds me of two similar posts I made, here and here, in October 2008 and March 2009 respectively, in which I mooted 5 or 6 possible campaigns I'd like to run. Naturally, I haven't run any of them. Probably, I never will. Life's too short, and it's getting shorter.

I sometimes wonder if being too imaginative a person is more a curse than a blessing. You can lose yourself in ideas, and the little endorphine rushes that your brain gives you when you have a new brilliant thought, but it doesn't let you achieve anything concrete. And ultimately it leads only to regret about the fact that so little of what you dream up will ever see the light of day.

There is something tragic about this, in its own way. Yes, okay, it's only a "first world problem"; but I live in the first world, so fuck you.

4 comments:

  1. And ultimately it leads only to regret about the fact that so little of what you dream up will ever see the light of day.

    I know what you mean. My first step for getting around this is to take at least some of the ideas that I have and do something - anything - with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this as well. My brain is constantly humming with ideas, RPG or otherwise and it can be frustrating when nothing comes of them.

    However I've found that my blog is a good outlet for that stuff. I throw it up there and now there is a record (if I decide to use it later) or I can hope that someone else out there may get some enjoyment or inspiration from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! And yes. A colleague once said "you can only see a tiny bit of my total creative work. Most of it consists of thoughts I forget before I can write them down."

    Given half a chance I'd also run a game in one of those really early periods in Chinese history that we know mostly through bronze artifacts. It wouldn't be recognisably Chinese at all. And maybe the artifacts would play a ludicrously important part in it. It would be an homage to CoC, which taught me to love bad archaeology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cram as many of your ideas as you can into one giant time-travel and/or dimension-hopping mega-sandbox.

    ReplyDelete